Thursday, February 21, 2008

Live Music: Brit Awards '08 Recap

Being from America and all, I didn't see the Brit awards last night, but I absorbed all the Youtubes from the show, and I'm officially ready to talk about them. This is gonna take a while, so let's hurry up and get started:

Kaiser Chiefs. "Ruby". It's fine. I like them, but to completely honest, I think they need to stretch their boundaries a little more. They're starting to play it way too safe.



Rihanna... FEATURING THE KLAXONS! The Klaxons are 98% of the reason why I care about this video, and they delivered. The performance plays like a really surreal mashup of "Umbrella" and the "Golden Skans" video, with the lasers and all. They play really well together, and the Klaxon's arrangement of the song makes it feel like a really cool studio remix. I just wish Rihanna had enough of a voice to really belt out the song.



Amy Winehouse. "Love Is A Losing Game". Kinda a letdown-- some of her best live performances have been of this song, but she just didn't bring it for this. She sounds nervous as hell the whole time. It'll be interesting to see how much her live performances improve after she's done rehabbing.



Second-best performance of the night: Mika. I'm not gonna lie, I didn't really like the way this performance of "Love Today" started, but everything was forgiven as soon as Beth Ditto popped onto the stage OUT OF NOWHERE. Together, the two of them put on probably the absolute best rendition of "Standing In The Way of Control" that I've ever seen. Really, it even kicks the ass of the original studio version.



And for the best night, Mark Ronson featuring Adele AND Daniel Merriweather AND Amy Winehouse. Dan and Amy nicely perform their usual Ronson covers, but Adele's the real highlight here. The idea to have Adele do the missing vocals for Ronson's cover of "God Put A Smile On Your Face" was brilliant, and I actually clapped a little when I realized what was happening.

No comments: